PHONE: 808.218.7900

Hawaii Urogyn

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home What is a Urogynecologist?

What Is a Urogynecologist

E-mail Print PDF
A urogynecologist is an obstetrician/gynecologist who specializes in the care of women with pelvic floor disorders.  This field of medicine is also known as Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery.  Dr. Steven Minaglia is certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG) in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery.  Dr. Minaglia has also completed a 3-year, ABOG-accredited fellowship prior to certification in the subspecialty.

The pelvic floor is the muscles, ligaments, connective tissue, and nerves that help support and control the rectum, uterus, vagina, and bladder. The pelvic floor can be damaged by childbirth, repeated heavy lifting, chronic disease or surgery.

Although your primary care physician, Ob/Gyn, or urologist may have knowledge about these problems, a fellowship-trained urogynecologist offers considerable expertise. You should see or be referred to a urogynecologist when you have problems of prolapse, and/or troublesome urinary and/or fecal incontinence or when your primary doctor recommends consultation.

Other problems for which you or your doctor might think about consulting a urogynecologist include: problems with emptying the bladder or rectum, pelvic pain, sexual dysfunction, and the need for special expertise in vaginal, vulvar, and/or labial surgery.

After medical school and a four-year residency in obstetrics/gynecology, a urogynecologist must complete a fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. This is an intensive, three-year surgical fellowship concentrating on treatment of the entire female pelvis including the vagina, uterus, bladder, and rectum.

In the past, women had to see several physicians to treat different components of pelvic floor disorders.  Now, women can see one physician who is trained in managing the entire pelvic floor.

Urogynecologists are specialists in the evaluation and treatment of conditions that affect the female pelvic organs, and the muscles and connective tissue that support the organs. Their additional training focuses on the surgical and non-surgical treatment of non-cancerous gynecologic problems.

To schedule an appointment at the Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery Clinic, please contact our scheduling staff at 808-218-7900.